"winning is a matter of endurance. As long as you don't quit, you'll win!"

Search This Blog


Welcome to My Journey, I am Eunece V. Franklin, and this is "A Day in the Life of." I started my journey by "blogging" about my MBA pursuit (with an emphasis in Marketing). However, I have achieved that goal, and now invite you to follow me on my career journey. I am quite excited about the various opportunities that exist, and I would like to thank my parents, siblings, and friends, for their unwavering support. I invite you to follow me on this adventure as I continue to nourish my intellectual curiosity and open the doors for you to sneak a peek in, "A Day in the Life."




Eunece V. Franklin, CEO& Principal...

Connect-A-Preneur, LLC

Connect-A-Preneur, LLC
"You Decide, WE Inspire, Connect, and Deliver!"

Friday, April 8, 2011

"Lead, Follow, or Move Out of The Way!"


There comes a time in life when passion meets opportunity, and the approach one takes on the path of their journey engenders LEADERSHIP! It is never an easy decision, oftentimes a last minute judgment call, and always remembered, to be sure. This happened to me as an undergraduate and involved my sorority Sigma Gamma Rho. At the time, it was a frightening situation, but as I recall it made me a stronger person having gone through the test of tenacity, and perseverance. Conversely, I have never spoken about this but almost 25 years later, I find myself defining my life more, and more each day. It is funny how one’s life come full circle when one least expect it. It usually happens with trauma in one's life, and the test of faith forces one to seek answers, and demonstrate solutions. Nonetheless, when I pledged the sorority in 1984, and one of my favorite sorority sisters (Sexy RI) made the comment, "one never knows when one has to perform for the organization." This call to action was an event that would forever shape my opinion on the role of leadership, and sisterhood. In fact, in the spring of 1987, six brave young women, Karen, Catrina, Lisa, Tabitha, Trudy, and Shelley, initiated as pledges of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. The six women dared to be a part of an organization widely admired, feared, and revered, and I had the pleasure of being the ‘Dean of Pledges’. The Dean is the overseer of the pledge line, and responsible for the initiation of the members into the sorority. Consequently, I was the last member of the organization on campus. Hence, the risk of losing the Chapter was a discerning feeling, which even I did not want to claim. As such, with the help of numerous sorority sisters, my ships (Leslie, La'Vonne, and Shanne), and my Greek Sisters of Zeta Phi Beta, I was able to pass the torch with a pledge line of six. However, the dynamics of recruiting members posed a challenge, to be sure. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc., Gamma Rho Chapter, made pledges earn their letters. The most distinguished, to be sure, was not going to go down without a fight. In doing so, I enlisted the help of my Sorors, other Greek organizations, the Gammettes, a sigma interest group, and my 'honorary' Rhomeo, Derrick Williams. Derrick was quite instrumental in helping me to achieve my pledge line of six. Conversely, he was a loyal friend (Derrick Williams) and spoke highly of my sorority, whenever necessary. A staunch supporter of Sigma, he introduced me to several young people vying for Sigma. I knew the road ahead would be difficult, and if I had failed, I would never be able to withstand the storm. Therefore, failure was not an option! Subsequently, the six pledges were capable of continuing the SGRHO legacy at ISU, and recruit, recruit, and recruit. Notwithstanding, there is not a 'step show' that we have not won, and of course, the fraternities love them some SGRHO's (lol)! I ask the question: “what is leadership? Do you lead or are you a leader?" Check out what my sister's of (Gamma Rho Chapter) are doing at Illinois State University in 2011 (a quarter of a century later)!


http://tinyurl.com/Gamma-Rho-Scholastic-Awards
[Open in new window]







No comments:

Post a Comment